top of page

About Holgate Lodge 4792

Brotherly love, Relief and Truth

Holgate Lodge was established back in 1925 and has forged strong links with the local community in Barnsley and the Yorkshire area.

Its roots are firmly established at The Masonic Hall on Cockerham Lane. 

Holgate are pleased to be involved with numerous charitable foundations and are always pleased to help out wherever possible.

In these difficult times it is even more important, that we support good causes and to give something back to those less fortunate as this is the ethos of 


Freemasonry came to Barnsley in the latter part of the 18th C. when the Cock Lodge No.199 held its first meeting at the Cock Inn on Shambles Street on 4th June 1777 .   Unfortunately, the Cock Lodge was erased in 1779 and the premises no longer exists.

The next lodge to grace the town was the Friendly Lodge, initially formed in London in 1790 and, having a somewhat chequered existence meeting at various hostelries, eventually settling at the Kings Head Hotel on Market Hill in the town centre on 9th September 1816. In 1874 the current Friendly Lodge No. 1513 (our mother lodge) was founded.


Freemasonry flourished with many of the local people being members and as their centenary approached and with a bulging membership, it was decided to petition for a ‘daughter’ lodge resulting in Holgate Lodge No 4792 being formed.   Our Warrant was granted on 4th November 1925 and the Consecration took place at the Masonic Hall, Eastgate on 15th December the same year.

The name of Holgate was chosen for the simple reason many of the original members had been educated at the Holgate Grammar School in Barnsley which received its name through the patronage of Archbishop Thomas Holgate, Archbishop of York.   The lodge crest is ostensibly that of the Archbishop.


The lodge originally met at the Masonic Hall in Regent Street South.  The facilities were limited and Festive Board dining was held in the nearby Queens Hotel.   Installation banquets in the early years were held at the Arcadian Hall in Market Street.


After a few years, members began to search for their own premises and a building fund was created through the purchase of War Bonds. In 1935 it was reported that Cockerham House in Cockerham Lane was ‘on the market’.   Three of the brethren were given permission to view the premises and if thought suitable were authorised to negotiate a price and pay a 10% deposit.    The premises were purchased for £820 and £82 was promptly paid.   More than £5000 was realised and the building fund was finally closed in 1972 with all outstanding loans to members being repaid.

The conversion of the premises commenced and a large dining hall with the Temple above was constructed in the rose garden.   The overall cost of the purchase, conversion and fixtures and fittings amounted to £4,574.  With many artefacts being gifted by various members.

With construction works completed in October 1935 the first meeting Holgate Lodges’ new home being conducted as a double initiation ceremony.

The lodge has met consistently ever since and is eagerly approaching its centenary in December 2025.

Get to Know Us

If you think Freemasonry may be for you click below to view our Lodge Profile

bottom of page